Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Ma-ma! Da-da!

This is Dada (A.K.A. Seth) writing this post.

I call myself Dada to Encourage Ella to do the same. And she says it too! But mostly she just says it when she feels like it and with no particular meaning other than that she's having a pretty good time at the moment and would like to make some noise.

Mama is different. When she says Mama, she has a very particular meaning. She means, "I think I would like to nurse now please." Although, usually she says it repeatedly, with much more enthusiasm, sometimes thee are other syllables mixed in, but you can usually discern a distinct "MA-MA-MA!" which indicates that she has had just about enough of whatever else is happening and that now it is time to nurse. We had a good recording of it, but blogger was having none of it!

The other night, at around 10:00, when she really really should have been sleeping, Lauren was long tired of nursing her (and it wasn't helping her sleep anyway) and I was tired of walking the halls with her (which was also not helping), I decided that feeding her might help. She ate pretty well for a baby that was supposed to be asleep, but at some point lost interest in the food, pointed directly at my face and looked at me with a sweet little smile and said, "da-da." Needless to say, I was overjoyed and I immediately forgave her for staying up past her bedtime and keeping me up past mine. Then a few minutes and a few spoonfuls of squash and apricots later, she again pointed and smiled and said, "da-da," in her sweet little voice, but this time she was pointing at her sippy cup.

"Wa-wa," I corrected.

No comments:

Post a Comment